Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fall

Fall...it is here.  
And it is beautiful. 



My morning coffee wasn't on the deck but on the other side of the fence today.  Callie is a rockstar on her Tigger bike since the removal of the training wheels a couple of weeks ago.  And after just a few short weeks of Kindergarten, we are all beginning to adjust to her new school-girl status. Adjusting to letting go and holding on at the same time.  She is walking to school from day care.  I'm still holding on at the school end, watching for her coming up the path but Jon is no longer hiding on the side streets en route.  And I overheard her making her own playdate arrangements for the next time she is at her grandma's house.



But these new signs of independence seem to be countered equally with acts of needing us something fierce. When that school day is over, she is stuck to me like glue.  I hold her through the four o'clock meltdown because all her emotions are bubbling to the surface.  It is a long day when you are five.  When you are tired and hungry and she begs to go straight home and not have to stop at the store on the way.  She needs us to be in the same room as her.  She needs us to be outside with her.  She needs us to watch her do whatever she is doing.  She just needs us.



We went on an adventure to World Rock today.  We haven't been there for a while.  It was a perfectly beautiful day to admire the changing leaves and look for nature's treasures.  The warm sun and cool, fall air was a match made in heaven.  I always get the urge to want to start crafting or baking or painting something this time of year, wanting to get our nest all cozy for winter.  So I went to Pinterest to get some inspiration and began pinning away.  Then I got tired and overwhelmed with all the cool things people do and wondered if homemade toy bins from old pallets are really any better than the plastic bins we have now. 



So I didn't craft, bake or paint anything today.  But I did put on a cozy wool sweater and drink my coffee from a thermos cup.  I day dreamed about fall things and held on to my girls.  Filling them up so their buckets will be full come Monday morning.


And they filled my bucket too. All the way to the top.

1 comment:

Christine said...

Love those boots kiddo!!!!