Monday, May 12, 2014

Messy, Perfect Mother's Day

I spent two days in the city for work last week.  While I was there I was thinking about how great it was going to be to get home friday evening and have the whole weekend  ahead to tackle the usual weekend jobs but mostly how I was going to get to spend Mother's Day basking in the love from my girls, giving them my undivided attention, doing whatever they wanted to do.



So my perfect weekend played out in my mind.  Basically it went something like this:  devote Saturday to laundry, grocery shopping, food prep and such. Getting the house in order because order makes me happy. Well, as much order as possible considering that the contents of our bedroom is spread throughout our house in preparation for it's new paint job.  Then that would leave Sunday for me to go for a run with my mom then enjoy a gourmet breakfast with my family, relax and sip coffee in my neat, tidy organized house, enjoy another cup of coffee outside watching the girls as they ride their bikes and hearing the spring birds chirp their happy songs.  Maybe a visit to the park and a stop at the ice cream store since I've been promising Lexi  we would go since it opened for the season.  Ahh yes.  'Tis would be the life.



Of course, like my house, life can get messy and dreams are exactly that, dreams.  So it's always good to have a plan B  which I just simply call goin' with the flow.  I woke up early Saturday morning with yet another case of the stomach flu.  I tell ya, I've had more than my fair share of this lately.  So operation "perfect Mother's Day weekend"  didn't get off to the best start.  Enter, plan B.  The girls got invited out for a playdate for the afternoon so I jumped on the offer, buying myself a couple of hours to recoup and hopefully get my plans back on track.  

And then it happened.  

The scream.
The kind of scream that says. "I'm not foolin'"
The kind of scream that gets all hands on deck.
The kind of scream that a Mama and Dad knows is for real.

Little sister tripped on the cement steps outside in the yard.  
Her nose cushioned her fall.
It did not look good. 
Especially for a Mama who already had a squeamish tummy.



Saturday continued on with plan B, aka go with the flow, with a trip to the emergency room to find out that despite its appearance, little sister was actually quite lucky.  No broken bones.  No lost teeth.  No stitches necessary.  Ice, Advil, and TLC is all the doctor ordered.  Ice as in chocolate ice cream with sprinkles on top.  Anything to cheer up my sweet baby girl.  And heck, it was in the original Mother's Day dream plan anyway.

So the housecleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping got traded in for nursing a flu bug, a trip to the ER, bowls of ice cream on the couch, a couple of netflix movies and lots and lots of snuggles from little sister.  

But there was still hope for Sunday.







And Mother's Day was perfect!  In a true go with the flow, plan B kinda way.  
Gourmet breakfast with my girls, courtesy of the dad.  
Showers of gifts and treasures.
A morning run with my mama!
A visit to the park.
Messy house. Messed up nose.  Messed up dream weekend.  
A messy, perfect Mother's Day.

No comments: