Saturday, April 28, 2012

Cross section

The days have been rolling downhill lately, picking up such tremendous speed that this weekend I purposely planned nothing.  No work projects were brought home.  No commitments were made. It was the only way I would have the energy and endurance to catch up to that ball rolling swiftly down the decline.  I decided would take a moment to grab that ball and cut it in half so that it can't get away from me again.  

When I cut that ball of life into two it created a cross section of our days.  And I'm going to mount that cross section on a slide here today as a way of preserving the seemingly minuscule parts of our life.  The parts so tiny you would need a high powered microscope to see their importance.

Slide 1:  World Rock
With the snow gone, we have been on many adventures around the yard.  The girls have been exploring the yellow, lifeless earth that is still in hibernation.  During one of their adventures they discovered World Rock.  World Rock received it's name from Callie for the simple fact that "you can see the whole world when you stand on it."




Slide 2:  Full to the Top
We hear those words about fifty times a day.  Callie can drink water like she's on a trek across the dessert.  She is forever asking for her Lighting McQueen cup to be "full to the top".  And sister can tell by the weight of it in her hand whether its right to the top or not!

Slide 3: Hoodies
If there is a hood on a sweater it is on the head.  It doesn't matter if she is inside or out.  Hoods were simply meant to be up.  






Slide 4:  Big Girl Bed?
The side rail of Lexi's crib is broken and I will not be ordering the replacement parts. We have set up the portable pack & play in her room for now.  Soon it will be coming. When I am ready.  The shift to the big girl bed.  The crib is the last sign of a baby in our house.  Moving to the next stage has never been easy for me.  I am patient, never in a rush to get my girls to the next phase and I'm anticipating that the removal of the crib may be an emotional day.  


Slide 5: Alvin 
Lexi's Easter basket had the Alvin and the Chipmunks movie in it.  Her last words before I tuck her into bed at night are, "I watch Alvin in the morning?"  Her first words in the morning, "I watch Alvin?"  Alvin, Alvin, ALVIN!  Callie called a family meeting tonight to discuss the overdose of Alvin and she lead us through the intervention process coming up with a complex TV watching schedule.




Slide 6:  Seatbelt Mayhem
There was a time, not that long ago, that getting Callie dressed in the morning required buckets of patients and an endless supply of deep breaths to make it through the meltdown that occurred when the clothes just didn't feel right.  This super sensitivity to sock seams and anything that wasn't elastic waist seems to be easing up a little but the frustration hasn't disappeared...it just got transferred to the seatbelt!




Slide 7:  Emerging independence.
 "I do it all myself!"  "I do it, I do it, I dooooo it!"  Little sister is growing up.  Learning and doing.  Mostly just trying to copy big sister but still emerging into her own, unique little being.  Our early morning rendez-vous is beginning to fade out making the mornings that I do scoop her up out of her bed even more valuable.  She huddles in between Jon and I, grabs me tight around my neck so that we are nose to nose, breathing each others breaths, and says, "'nuggle me, mom, 'nuggle me!"

Slide 8:  Color Change
After a lifetime of being blonde, I am trying out being a brunette.  I had it colored about a month ago but just haven't posted a picture here yet.  I have adjusted to the change and even forget that it's drastically different until someone comments... proof that you can change the outside all you want, as often as you want, but ultimately, you are who you are.




I will now add the cover slip on top of my prepared slides.  To preserve these simple, microscopic moments in time.  The small things, the inbetween days or whatever you want to call them... are basically real life.  Enjoy your real life moments this weekend.

No comments: