Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Hopeful and Grateful

Last night we celebrated our 8th Anniversary and counted down to the New Year in our cozy living room. Candles were a blazin', drinks were a flowin', and snacks were a cookin'.  We haven't been at home for New Year's Eve for a couple of years.  It was  fun to watch the ball drop in New York and the bands play in Niagara Falls and play some games with the girls.  Just the four of us.  We watched old videos from when the girls were just babies. We looked back on the last eight Christmases.  If you think nothing changes just take a minute to click back.  Not a single photo was taken on a cell phone at our wedding.  No one tweeted, updated statuses, instagrammed or texted a single thing eight years ago on our night.  That's kinda hard to imagine unless you were there to experience it for yourself! We didn't watch our wedding video though. It's not digital.   Maybe next year.  If DVD is still around.

Watching those videos of my girls growing up gave me the warm, fuzzies.  Maybe because a new year was about to begin, maybe because it was our anniversary, or maybe it was the wine... whatever it was, it made me feel so lucky.  I have a good life.  We wish people a happy and healthy new year... and that's what I have.  On Christmas day when we drive to my mom's house for supper, I look in the windows of the houses that we pass and I wonder how the different people are celebrating.  I know that the holidays are not full of spirit and joy for all people.  That hard times, hardened hearts, and missing loved ones changes the game plan.  I know that I'm lucky and I'm beyond grateful for my family, my friends, all that we have and have worked for.  I hope to raise gracious children.  Children who don't feel the need to apologize for having a good life but have empathy and understanding for others and the realization that the line between fortune and misfortune is drawn in sand and can be washed away at anytime.  This is my hope as we begin a new year.  

Today I packed up Christmas and put it into Rubbermaid bins and put another year of memories into the storage room.  With the record breaking cold temperatures lately, we have barely left the house in a week. It's pretty much a dream come true...lazy jammie mornings, late Netflix nights, and all day snuggles.  I haven't taken a single photo with my real camera in a week.  So here it is, instagram style... 


Happy 2014 people.  Be hopeful and grateful and have a some fun!

No comments: