Friday, March 21, 2014

I Just Do What I Do

The saying goes that being a parent is the hardest job there is.  And I get that but sometimes I think being a teacher has to be tied for first place on the hard jobs list or at least get an honorable mention or something. Teachers get to spend a lot of time with our children.  Our pride and joys.  The same kids that make us laugh, snuggle us, jump all over the living room furniture, interrupt us when we're on the phone, tell us stories, make messes, crawl into our beds at night...the exact same kids that we love to the moon and back and would do anything for...they spend most of their day with a teacher.  And since the teacher didn't have to birth my child and therefore be obligated to love her by default, I know that the jumping around and the interrupting and the story after endless storytelling is not quite so precious.



Callie got an award at school this week for Citizen Improvement.  I asked her if she knew why she got the certificate.  She replied, "I have no idea, mom".  I stumbled over trying to explain the award business to her. I wanted her to know that I was proud of her accomplishment, but of course I don't want her to think I'm not proud of her if she doesn't get an award at school.  I wanted to tell her that she got it for working hard at school, being a good listener, being helpful and kind but I had to correct that somehow because I didn't want her to think that she isn't all those things if she didn't get the award.  I think I said something like, "if you don't get an award it doesn't mean you're not a hard worker, it just means that you didn't get picked this time." "But why did I get picked, mom"?   So I told her she got picked because her teachers think that she's a good student.  

"I didn't know my teachers thought I was a good student, mom, I just do what I do."

She proudly hung her ribbon next to her medal she received last year and continued about, doing what she does...talk, tell stories, jump around, make messes.  You know, the things that only a mother (and teachers) can love.  






It won't be long before Lexi will be at school meeting her teacher and telling her stories.  Telling about having strawberry-banana smoothies at our favorite coffee shop and about how she loves hot chocolate and marshmallows and all things sweet.   



But before we even start thinking about sending Lexi off to Kindergarten, we've got a bit of snow to melt, some spring to be had, and a long awaited summer to experience.  And then there will be even more stories to tell.

No comments: