Wednesday, July 13, 2016

Yurting With Friends

I can very distinctly recall being a teenager growing up in this small town and thinking, "this place is so boring, there is nothing to do in this town!" My teenage brain thought that the grass was greener somewhere else.  I though that city life seemed so exciting. So many things to see and do.  I had big plans to travel the world, to be the CEO of some billion dollar company and have a vacation home in Florida all by the ripe old age of 30.  Because when you're a teenager 30 is like really old.

Obviously those dreams didn't quite pan out for me but after four years of university in the city I returned to this small town with new, more mature, twenty-two year old eyes and for the past twenty years I've been finding something to do in this small town.  And the summer in this town will rival any Florida vacation home.

Let's start with our lakefront yurt property where we spent a week making some pretty awesome memories with some really awesome friends.









Despite some unseasonably cool temperatures, a bit of rain, and a windy day there was nothing but good times happening.  The girls negotiated a dish washing contract with the dads that resulted in four girls washing all the dishes over the week for the low, low price of ten bucks a piece! Now that agreement was just a win-win for all involved.






This group of kids never complained about the weather.  And I never heard the word bored.  They built forts and made up games.  They created dances and made unique crafts that they each presented to the moms.  The moms had to judge and decide which craft they liked best based on a set criteria that the girls had developed. I kid you not.  They really did.   These girls have been friends since birth.  Each one is unique with their own interests and personalities and when they get together they never seem to be short on ideas of things to do.

When they weren't busy negotiating their pay for washing dishes or presenting their crafting talents these girls jumped off the rocks and swam their hearts out.  A little rain and cool weather didn't slow them down one bit.





There are many, many things to do in our small town.  But I have to say, doing these things with good friends just makes it all the more fun.  Good friends are the kind you don't have to entertain.  The kind where you don't always have to talk, you can sit beside each other and read a book, you can hop in a canoe and go for a paddle or jump on a bike and go for a ride.    







Everything is more fun with these ladies around...

 

Our yurting time is over for now but we've been go, go, going ever since.  I feel like my time with my girls right now is precious.  Before I know it, these girls will be teenagers.  And maybe they will mope around and say that this town is boring and there's nothing to do and they won't think its fun to ride bikes with their mom or they won't jump in the lake because they just washed their hair or whatever excuse teenagers make up to compensate for their insecurities.  I'm going to make as many memories as I possibly can with my girls this summer, just as we always do, and I will store these memories in a safe place just in case I need them to carry me though the teen years!

No comments: