Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Favorite Things

I have a secret confession...I can sing all the words to the Favorite Things song that Julie Andrews belts out in The Sound of Music.

"Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes, snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes..."

I love that movie.  I have all 4 hours and 4 minutes of it pvr'd from when it was on CBC at Christmas time.  I only allow myself to watch it during the holidays because I want to keep the feeling it brings sacred.  But the Favorite Things song takes over my thoughts every once in a while.  We all have our favorites.  Some favorites come and go but others stick around for a lifetime. 

Some of our favorite things right now.


The aroma from my Mother's Day flowers is absolutely intoxicating.  I breathe deeply every time I walk by. 


My new bling.  A little present to myself.  Love, love, love it!


Lexi's new, handmade, crocheted, flowered  hats.  Knit with love by my friend's mother-in-law who claims she doesn't have talent!  Handmade things are high in my favorites.  No two are ever exactly the same.  And yes, I love when the Von Trapp children all where those matching shorts that Maria sews from the curtains.  I think I like that scene because it reminds me of pictures I've seen of my mom and her siblings when they were young.  My amazingly talented and crafty grandmother would sew matching outfits for her children.   I also have a bit of the dressing my girls the same addiction. 


Lexi wants to add Hullabaloo to the favorites list.  As I type this, the Hullabaloo game pads are dispersed around the living room.  And I usually pick them up every night and put them back in the box only to have Lexi seek it out first thing in the morning and it's game on!  Tonight, those pads are going to stay littered all over the floor.  I'm waving the white flag.  Cleaning this game up, only for the hours everyone is asleep, is pointless.  I have dreams of a man's voice saying..."get on a purple cranium pad to start." Scary.



Callie's crazy cooking show.  Very similar to her dad's favorite show.


I have no idea where Lexi would have picked up her little cell phone habit but everybody's favorite baby, Jake, is along for the ride in the trunk.  Of all the baby dolls in this house, Jake is the most loved by both girls.  Some days there are arguments over who gets to have this boy, who wears pink like it's nobody's business. 


Favorite toys this week...princess ball and magnet blocks.




And Jon's favorite things... the Canucks made it to the next round for the Stanley Cup and...


...an afternoon nap.

"Brown paper packages tied up with strings. These are a few of our favorite things."

1 comment:

Megan said...

Your flowers are gorgeous and I love your little chef!

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never seen the sound of music...